History

Over 110 Years of service

Sentry Bank has been growing for over 110 years. Here is a snapshot of how it has grown throughout the years.

1904

Over one hundred years ago St. Joseph was a rural community with a growing population, an emerging business district, a convent, and a college. Several local residents recognized the need for banking services and with a capital investment of $10,000, the First State Bank of St. Joseph was established.

1917

A new bank building was built on what is now Minnesota Street West, across from St. Joseph’s Catholic Church and Lab School. The First State Bank of St. Joseph survived a very difficult period of history, the Great Depression. While other banks were failing and closing their doors, it remained a stable and prosperous institution in the community. It was during this time that First State Bank of St. Joseph purchased the assets of the Farmers State Bank of St. Joseph, another St. Joseph bank which failed during the Depression.

July 1978

As the bank continued growing over the next several decades, a larger facility was needed. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for a new bank building and construction was completed in 1979. Along with the new facilities came ample parking, more convenient hours, a drive-up window and a night depository vault. By this time, the bank assets had grown to over $9 million.

1985

The first in-house computer system to increase efficiency and provide better service to customers.

 

1999

Plans were made for a larger facility, more easily accessible to customers.

 

September 1999

Groundbreaking for the new facility took place.

June 26, 2000

The bank was officially relocated to its current facility at
400 – 4th Ave NE.

June 2005

The bank was purchased by a group of local business people from the surrounding area.

January 2010

First State Bank of St.Joseph entered into an agreement with the FDIC to acquire the St. Stephen State Bank and triple the number of locations to now include St Joseph, St Cloud and St Stephen.

January 2011

As the customer base continued to expand beyond St. Joseph and the total assets of the bank grew past $150 million, the decision was made to change the name of the bank from First State Bank of St. Joseph to Sentry Bank. At this time the St. Cloud location was relocated to a brand new building on Veterans Dr.

June 2013

Sentry Bank acquired a branch from Sherburne State Bank located in downtown St Cloud, giving the growing customer base more options and accessibility than ever before.

Sentry Bank Today

Sentry Bank continues to remain an independent community bank, growing along with the communities it serves by continually adding new products and services. The officers and employees of the bank look forward to many more years of serving the community as our “Tradition of Community Banking” continues.

Come grow with us.

Always close by

As a locally owned and operated bank, we value our role within the communities we serve. We have four branch locations around the St. Cloud, MN area filled with friendly and helpful staff ready to assist you with any of your banking needs. Stop by and say hello anytime!